Friday 4 September 2020

TO STOCKHOLM


27th - 30th Aug 2020

Stockholm. Looking north across the Riddarfjärden to Gamla Stan. The Old City.

Back to reality. I was determined to escape the dictatorship we now live under in UK thanks to the 'Controlavirus' scaremongering and the paranoia this has generated. So, having read a bit about it, I decided to give Sweden a try where, I was informed, they take this situation somewhat more pragmatically. It can't be any worse than UK. Can it?

I flew to Stockholm Arlanda from London Heathrow courtesy of British Airways. Heathrow (Terminal 5) resembled a temple of the walking dead. Zombie-like creatures, both inside and outside the airport, were wearing face-masks or visors, or both…even in areas where it was not required to do so.


Right: Some of the walking dead.








I hasten to add I did not put on my flimsy snot-rag until entering the secure area where the wearing of them is compulsory. As quickly as I could I found a café in the departure lounge to sit down where, of course, you can take the damned things off. It is as if many of the population of this country now feel obliged to wear them even when not required or sensible to do so; or actively want to because they are scared witless bedwetters. Perhaps they just don’t want to ‘be different’ and risk attracting criticism. This is the unfortunate result of successful scaremongering and brainwashing as we should all know by now. As I hope is realised, and was previously promulgated by medical ‘experts', these ‘face coverings’ are of little or no effective protection against a virus, as opposed to bacteria. Indeed they can merely collect and spread them if not used correctly, but they do carry a political message..ie. 'be fearful'. 


I’ve done an interesting, if amateur, experiment to demonstrate their ineffectiveness involving a vapour cigarette! Exhale through the mask and see where the vapour goes. That's where any virus goes having previously collected  on the mask. Try it.


Left: The Wetherspoon’s edict at Heathrow T5 departures (I hope you can click on to enlarge). Have you ever seen anything so painfully bossy, fear inducing and patronising? I am fed up of being told to ‘stay safe’! I was in the army and got shot at regularly in various locations. They missed (you may be disappointed about that). 
Now it would be: Sergeant to his men “Right lads, fix bayonets! On the whistle over the top and let ‘em have it!”. Pte Wimp, “Sorry Sarge, can’t go until it’s considered safe to do so". I despair.

After being regaled over loudspeakers to maintain a ‘safe' 2 metre ‘social’ distance (regardless of wearing face-nappies) it was onto a packed BA Airbus where all seats were occupied and any social distancing was impossible. Lots of escapees like me I presume. We were sitting elbow to elbow. Face-nappies to remain on until they brought round the complimentary soft drinks and crisps whereupon the masks could be removed and flapped around. Then back on again. It is all so utterly illogical!

On arrival at Arlanda, Stockholm, it was inspiring to be confronted in the arrivals hall by ranks of security officers and other officials, all barefaced. That set the tone and some (not all by any means; many are now totally indoctrinated) incoming passengers followed suit. What a relief! There are no restrictions or papers to fill in on entering Sweden. Just a welcome and cursory passport check. Even my clanking bag of duty free passed uninspected (thankfully, because being aware of Swedish booze prices I had stocked up to the max and maybe beyond). From then on, by express train and Metro (or Tunnelbana) to my hotel, I saw no local wearing a mask. Stress levels and and anxiety were duly reduced.

I was to stay the first two nights at the Långholmen Hotell (right), an ex-prison on an island to the south west of the city centre. P.S. No misprint. Hotells here are spelt with two 'll's. Can't think why, but if that is what they want to do to waste ink that's fine by me.






Left: After checking in. 

By the way, I am having trouble with this blog and layout/font etc. Google has invented a new 'interface' which is crap and has caused much complaint from other users. So we were advised to revert to the old 'interface' which is now not performing as well as it used to. Such is technological advance.


Right: 'E' Wing in which my cell was located. There was an amazing lack of prison officers (or 'screws' as I believe they are known by inmates).
Very pleasant staff in the prison 'canteen' too which had a decent, if pricey, menu.













Left: My cell, which was surprisingly comfortable with flat-screen TV with many channels (including BBC 'Woke' World...Yuk!), en-suite bathroom and a soft bed.














Stockholm, as I discovered, consists of more water than land. Everything seems to be on various islands with channels running between them. It is a very charming sea/landscape and served by an efficient Metro, bus and tram service. I decided to take a 45 minute walk from prison to the Old City, Gamla Stan, which is more or less in the centre.

En-route I passed this lonely looking scooter dumped on the roadside. I thought nothing of it except that it will be nicked by someone before too long.










It's all about boats, and more boats, tied up to every available mooring place. Some small, some large and extravagant.......  
......some with weird characters stuck on them.

I was hoping to use the 'Hop on Hop off' ferry which takes you around the islands, but discovered it has been suspended due to the 'virus' because it can get overcrowded (I was told). Boring! 
Although the city is practically normal in nearly all respects I discoverd that some facilities and entertainments have been closed....for the duration.


Left: More discarded scooters. As I quickly found out these are dumped all over the city. There must be thousands of them. 
It is an excellent system wherby you download an 'App' on your phone (with credit card details) and if you want to use a scooter you simply pick one up, scan a panel on the scooter and off you go! I believe it costs about 2 Krone (20p) for a minute or maybe a distance. You then just leave it wherever you stop. Brilliant idea! Of course it couldn't work in UK due to some jobsworth regulations no doubt. Also, in true British fashion, they would probably be quickly stolen or dumped in the river. 
Another discovery; the Swedes are a very trusting and trustworthy race!

I have only just started this post, but having a few problems with the 'Blogger' interface so, until I can work it out, stopping here for the time being. Very frustrating!


No comments:

Post a Comment