Tuesday 25 January 2011

THE BEGINNING


25th Jan 2011

D Day.Well, here goes. My initial attempt at a 'Blog'. Firstly, apologies for those who received about 6 copies of the e-mail informing them of the blog address. I have bought a new, small and very expensive 'apple' lap-top and I really haven't a clue how to operate it efficiently. I will probably lose it, break it,  have it stolen or drop it overboard before too long.
The Ship, MSC Tanzania, a German cargo vessel, arrives in Felixstowe tonight. I am supposed to board after 10 pm. It is about 300yds long and 30yds wide and carries 'containers', containing what I know not, as yet. I am not familiar with German nautical etiquette and my only Deutsche lingo is gleaned from the 'War Picture Library' comics; I hope Herr 'Kapitan' has a sense of humour.
I think we set sail at about 7.00am tomorrow bound initially for Antwerp, then on to Le Havre and then New York. I have copious amounts of anti-seasick pills, wristbands and a bottle of whisky. I suspect the internet does not work at sea so this may be the last 'blog' entry until ( hopefully ) ashore in USofA.
Nothing much more to be said, so far, and assuming I am not made to 'walk the plank' en-route, will let you know later about the joys of a transatlantic crossing in January in a German Schiff  ( duration is about 12 days ). I think I can safely say that 'deck-quoits' is out, as is the factor 50 sun-tan lotion, but we should, at least, be safe from the Wolfpacks.
Wait out.......................!!

2 comments:

  1. Matt,
    It being Burns Night, I expect you will be dining on Haggis and Whisky, You know how keen the Deutsch are on Shotland.

    Have a safe trip, I'll bet you are in touch until you get clear of France.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can see it and track it at:

    http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/shipdetails.aspx?mmsi=211256500

    Best of luck

    Dermot

    ReplyDelete