Sunday 20 October 2019

ARRIVAL YOKOHAMA.

14th - 15th Oct 2019




Well, we made it on schedule in drizzly weather to Yokohama, and disembarking was handled most efficiently with no delays. The Japanese immigration procedures were conducted quickly and with good humour. The ship is due to sail on to ports further west.

Left: The Captain (Mark Rowden, from Hull) stood at the bottom of the gangway to bid us all farewell. I hope he appreciated my "Ay oop Cap'n, grand trip. Sithee agin p'raps". My 'Yorkshire' is not much better than my 'Japanese'.

So, that was the end of my 'cruise' experience. It was, on the whole, most enjoyable and highly efficiently organised. The staff on board (bar, restaurant, stewards etc.) were predominantly Filipino, Indonesian or Thai and were superb. The 'ships officers' tended to be from Europe and Australia (I didn't notice any from the US even though the company, Holland America, is Seattle based}. Interestingly I was told that a large proportion of these cruise companies, including this one and Cunard, are all part of the Florida based mega-empire of the Carnival Corporation.
The only problem as far as I was concerned is that, despite all the 'entertainments' and comfort on board, one tends to become a touch bored after bit, and it was all very 'American' oriented. Two weeks was quite long enough.


Right: The final position report


There is a useful Tourist Information Office in the arrivals hall at the port as there are, I discovered, at all railway stations and other places as well. A helpful lady there suggested I took the free bus service to Sakuragicho Railway Station where there is a bigger info centre to organise onwards travel, which I did. I was looking for somewhere to buy a Japanese Rail Pass and for that I had to go to Yokohama main station. I was now armed with a city map and a good idea of how to use the underground system.

I had booked in that morning, on spec, by internet to the APA Yokohama Bay Tower Hotel because it looked nearby and was cheap (£40pn). It was within walking distance so I checked in. It proved an excellent place, very shiny and modern, in a great location. The rooms are fairly 'compact' but very clean and comfortable (large double bed) with all manner of electrical facilities, fast WiFi and a super-sized TV which had BBC World (if you want to get depressed) and other 'western' channels available. The Japanese do 'ergonomics' very well.


On the ground floor, amongst a spa and such-like amenities, is a smart little restaurant with a micro-brewery (left) attached. I had a pleasant snack lunch there, including a glass of the local brew.

Then off to Yokohama Main Station. For all my concerns about the complexity of the transport systems, and they are wide ranging and complex, it seems not to be a problem (so far) because there is always someone around who is only too pleased to tell you where to go. I duly purchased my Rail Pass which I had been advised is a sensible thing to do if you intend to travel around.

Back at the hotel for a quick wash and brush up I had my first experience of the typical Japanese loo. These, as I subsequently discovered, are all fitted with a control panel (right). Any instructions/labels are in Japanese and pushing the buttons can give you, the beginner, a somewhat alarming surprise. A jet of warm water up the jacksie and a blast of hot air when you are not expecting it concentrates the mind a bit.





I was only going to be here for the night before moving on, so not much time to see the town. I noticed from my window this Ferris wheel (left) across the Ooka river. I decided to investigate and discovered it was part of a large fairground called Cosmo World. Lots of different rides and sideshows and I decided to have a go on the Big Wheel, the Cosmo Clock. I was put in a gondola by myself and re-discovered just after 'take-off' that these things give me a slight feeling of vertigo. Nothing serious but I feel trapped and helpless and don't really enjoy the sensation.


It was getting dark by now but at least I managed to get a photo or two looking down at the fairground/docks below (right).











Left: The Wheel, clock in the centre, lights up spectacularly at night with an ever changing array of colourful displays. There must be a lot of light bulbs involved.


After a very decent supper of steak and chips at a nearby restaurant I called it a day, so not much to report from the city.







Right: I passed this illuminated ship, the Shogun Something or Other, on the way back.

Correction: Its the 'Nippon Maru' according to my conscientious 'editor'. A retired training ship for Japanese naval cadets.

Quite coincidently, apropos my rant about bedside lights in the previous blog, I found the Japanese have acknowledged the problem and have the solution. Next to my bed was this console (left) which operated, very simply, all the lights in the room. On the right is a white detachable torch which has a permanent glow on the top. In the event of power failure (unlikely here I suspect) or a failure to find a switch (unlikely also with this arrangement) you simply grab the torch which automatically turns on. Why can't western hotels provide something like this? It would save a lot of breakages and injury!


Check-out the next morning involved a very sensible and quick procedure. No arsing about waiting at a desk; you just dump your keycard into this slot (right) and bugger off.











I mentioned previously the 'towel sculptures' placed on your bed in your cabin every evening during the cruise. This one (left) was the final one. It must take the stewards inordinate time to do these for every cabin. I have since discovered that these towel sculptures are a standard 'cruise' tradition and there are even web-sites which show you how to make them!
I'd never, in my sheltered life, ever heard of them before. Can't see the point really.


So, that was my first day (apart from the brief run ashore in Kushiro)  in Nippon. So far so good and I expect I will learn a lot more about the place and its people in the coming days. And even get used to the loos.

Next off south to Kyoto..........


No comments:

Post a Comment