Saturday, 26 September 2026

A TRIP TO THE MOUNTAINS


 2nd Sept 2026

I write this a long time after the event (idleness and other distractions) and so, despite my diary, much detail has escaped me. 

Some 'en-route' transport awaiting us.

I had arranged a 'group' day tour to the Atlas mountains, about 50 miles south of Marrakesh, with a US based company called Viator. It cost £13, all included, and seemed a good deal..almost too good! However, much to my surprise, they e-mailed me with a pick-up point outside a large pharmacy on Jemaa el Fna Square for 8.30am. A mini-bus duly arrived, on time, and there were, eventually, twelve of us tourists on board, plus a guide, Omar, and driver, Hassan. 

Of my 11 fellow passengers, there was a majority of Poles (family of 3, a couple of young girls and a Polish lady from London), a family of 3 Italians, an Asian/American guy based in Luxembourg and a rather dotty old woman from Sheffield. They were pleasant company,

Our first stop was in the middle of a flat barren area about 20 miles south of the city. There were about 15 camels (and some with calves) lying outside a large tent waiting for us (see photo at top). 

Left: We were kitted out in 'local' dress (I kept my cap on of course, initially). We mounted the camels as they were lying down. They were then given a kick in the right place and stood up which was a somewhat alarming experience and one had to hold on tight! As far as I can remember no-one fell off.









Right: Happily mounted we moved off in line. The camels were tied nose to tail and we proceeded to do a lap of the area for about 20 minutes. Quite long enough to get the feel for it.

Below: The camel ride. I think I am lying 4th.


Left: After this little ride we were seated in the tent and given a long description by Omar (on the right) of local customs and traditions including the Berber tea pouring ceremony. I remember little of it. Much green tea was drunk.







We set off heading south towards the mountains. From now on my geography and recording of the names villages we passed gets a bit vague, although we were following the line of a large river, possibly the Tensift. We stopped at a local small house (obviously geared for tourists) where we were given more tea and some bread, honey and other sauces. 


Below: The ladies looking after us proceeded to play some music.

This house was in the foothills of the mountains and this area specialised in harvesting olives and argan (hadn't heard of that before but it is a plum sized fruit from a large tree exclusively found in Morocco) from which they make a variety of potions and cosmetics. They had many of such on display for sale here (right). Omar waxed lyrical about their benefits.

Left: An argan tree.








Right: ......and it's fruit.







Left: The house itself was typical of the area and constructed out of a kind of earth and hay wattle. We were told that they are hardy and waterproof...and it rains a lot here in the winter months!







Right: On into the mountains....

I think we passed by the villages of Asni and Mazik, but there are so many little villages scattered around the mountains I could never be sure which was which. 





At some point we passed along the river which led into a lake. There were many people swimming in the river and having picnics alongside (no photos from the minibus). I think the lake (left) is either the Isli, or Tislit. 







Below: There is a story about these lakes and I was shown a website which explained. Click on to enlarge.



We then stopped near the village of Imlil for lunch. This involved de-bussing and a very steep 15 minute climb up a narrow track (left), and steps, to a small house at the top. I believe it belonged to a relative of Omar (our guide). His family lives in this area. The mule shown here is a common pack animal used in these parts. They are everywhere, very sure-footed, and carry heavy loads up these little tracks.


Right: At lunch. Omar holding forth again. A delicious mix of salads and apple tart for pud. No beer, just water.













Left: After lunch there was a hike (not too steep going) around the local mosque, one of many in the area, where Omar proceeded to give us another long detailed talk on the Mosques and the Muslim religion and historic tribes and nationalities in Morocco. I'm afraid it went a bit over my head.




Onwards again. We were basically circling the village of Imlil. This place is the start point for the trek/climb to the summit of Mount Toubkal (right) which is, at 14,000ft, the highest point of the Atlas mountains. It takes about 2 days to get up there. Not sure about accommodation on the way up!
I was told that there were still some patches of snow up on top, but I didn't notice them.


We ended our hike at this waterfall (left) which is a popular tourist destination. There were quite a lot of people hanging about here and soft drinks and snacks were on sale. I drank some very refreshing apple juice.

So that, at about 4.30pm, was the end of the tour. A walk down to the minibus (avoiding many laden mules along the way) which was parked near the village and off we set back to Marrakesh. After a refuelling stop and dropping off some passengers at various hotels I arrived back at Jemaa el Fna Square at 6.30pm. It had been a most enjoyable and educational trip. Much credit to Omar for his excellent and amusing guiding and to Hassan for impeccable driving along some tricky mountain roads. Well worth the £13!

I had a recuperative beer at the Mabrouka Bar (my oasis in this town) and a casual evening in and around the place. A day well spent,

More to follow about other sights around Marrakesh....eventually. 


No comments:

Post a Comment