Monday, 28 September 2026

MORE MARRAKESH

 3rd - 4th Sept 2026

Horses and carts in abundance

I generally had a pleasant time wandering around the city. It is a very 'tourist friendly' place and does boast some impressive ancient buildings and large open parks and gardens as well as enormous maze-like 'souks' and 'bazaars'.  Horses pulling carriages are popular and numerous and probably rather expensive. I resisted the temptation. However I did a 'cultural' tour of some historic buildings.

One ancient building of note is the Bahia Palace (left, a stock photo). This was built in the 19th century as a residence for various Sultans and Grand Viziers. It is/was very sumptuous. A lot of it was under renovation when I visited. It is situated in the south-east of the Medina (old city).



This description (right) explains its history and may enlarge to read if you 'click on', although this site seems to have problems doing this now!






The pics below show some aspects. There is much elaborate mosaic decoration and an impressive courtyard.

Left: The entrance (entrance fee 200 dirhams).






Right: An elaborately decorated ceiling.








Left: The courtyard.







Further south-east is El Badi Palace. This was built in the 16th century by a Sultan and subsequently fell into ruin before being recently restored. As with the Bahia Palace, much of it was still under renovation when I visited. Right: A brief history.



Left: The El Badi Palace (Entrance fee 200 Dirhams).







Frankly, there wasn't much of great interest to see. Right: A small courtyard.









Left: Leading onto the main 'Square' inside.






Right: Down in the extensive cellars, or 'dungeons' as they were labelled, were many display cases housing artefacts which mostly consisted of bits of ancient masonry and pottery. Rather dull.


I then ambled on further south-east to the Saadian's Tombs in the Kasbah area. This 'necropolis' was constructed by the Saadien dynasty in the 16th century, then walled up and hidden. It was only rediscovered in 1917. Description below:

Right: The entrance to the tombs complex (200 Dirham!)





Again, most of the area was undergoing renovation and the only building on view (from the outside) was the main mausoleum (left). This is famed for its pillared architecture and elaborately tiled floor.

To be honest I was a little underwhelmed, as was a couple of other tourists walking alongside me!



Anyway, that was my bit of 'culture' and I felt better educated about this historic city as a result.

Right: Pedestrians in a street near Jemaa El Fna Square. Not very different to one in UK nowadays.






Left: Inside one of the large maze-like souks in the Medina. They were very extensive and easy to get disorientated and lost in. I suppose that is good for business!







Right: In most of the bars and cafés where, as explained previously, alcohol was not available, smoking was considered perfectly acceptable. Ashtrays were normally found on tables. I remember the 'liberal' days when that was the case in UK! 






Left: More horses and carts. This was a line of 20 of them. Yes, they were well used by tourists...I just forgot to take a photo of one in 'action'.








At one point I bought some postcards and then went to the central Medina Post Office to get stamps. The postal desks inside the office were not occupied. However, a man standing outside on the street was selling stamps. He appeared vaguely 'official'. I duly bought some for postage to UK (9.80 Dirham = 75p approx each). Afterwards I began to doubt if this chap was genuine and I had been 'scammed'. I needn't have worried. They all arrived in UK after about 2 weeks! This one (right) I had dated incorrectly and my eagle-eyed recipient (at OMPITA) had spotted it.

I think that was about all of general interest I did and saw on my enjoyable short 4 day stay in Marrakesh. I returned via an efficiently pre-organised taxi to the airport (as per the one inbound) on the morning of 4th Sept. The flight (Easyjet) was packed and the Captain, a rather scruffy unshaven individual who seemed rather fond of himself, gave incessant announcements and I was not impressed by the appearance and standard of the cabin crew but won't elaborate in case I get sued! Anyway, we got back to grotty Gatwick more or less on time and I was home at 8.30pm that evening.

Written after a long delay, I'm sure I will have forgotten some detail. I will amend and add if I think of anything I have missed. In the meanwhile pondering where to go next............stand-by!



No comments:

Post a Comment