Tuesday 21 April 2020

LOCKDOWN. WEEK 4

15th - 21st Apr 2020




Thanks to the interminable doom, gloom and weepy stories on the TV and in newspapers I get the impression that a lot of the UK's 'Panic-Stricken General Public' (PSGP) are becoming even more paranoid in their approach to the controlavirus. There is never any positive or uplifting news, such as in Vietnam where my contact tells me that they have still had no deaths directly attributable to this bug. Apparently this is partly due to the fact that they stopped all incoming tourist traffic (air, road and sea presumably) as soon as the outbreak was announced in China. He is in Da Lat at present where, apart from lack of tourists, life has returned almost to normal. There is certainly no whingeing on about lack of PPE, or stessed out 'health workers' etc. I worry not in the slightest about getting this bug, but I do about the loss of all social, sporting and economic normalities for an indefinite period, if not forever. 'They', through spreading fear, have got us trapped under their thumb and the PSGP will do what they are told, regardless of reason or common sense, forever. Maybe......I hope not.


I really don't want to sound like the boring and depressing TV News and newspapers, so no more talk of the tossers who spread bad news or, as far as I can manage, bang on about the bug. This blog is about what I have been up to during the 'lockdown'; and there is some good news. My TTD list is reducing (slowly). I finally achieved something I had been meaning to do for 3 years. I sewed a missing button on my pyjamas! Quite an accomplishment and with no serious injury you will be relieved to hear.






My boring daily routine continues much as before. As mentioned previously I drop in to our local hardware shop for a chat (I did buy some weedkiller recently) with the charming and sensible owner, Pauline (Right). On one occasion I was there when a bloke came in asking for some paint. He explained that he lived 20 miles away and his local shop refused to sell him any, despite having some and him buying other things, because they told him "we can't sell paint as it has been decreed a 'non-essential item'". Pauline has a good stock of paints and duly served him. He had to drive 40 miles here and back to get it. The system, and regulations, have gone mad!

PS. All modern weedkiller is pretty weak and useless. EU 'elf 'n safety rules I suppose. I want something that when you put it down results in smoke and flames appearing. Pauline said she was out of Napalm and Agent Orange...temporarily I hope.

The local Co-op is the place I go for my supplies as described earlier. No queueing there. Newspaper (or CoronaPress), the occasional bottle of wine, butter, bread, milk and other 'essentials' are normally available. Foodwise I take what they have to offer. If I had a cat there would be a great choice. I will not starve.
Loo rolls were once in great demand and shortage. There seem to be no lack of them now.











There seems to be ongoing discussion on whether we should all be expected to wear face masks when out and about. These have been proved to be relatively useless, but I suspect the PSGP will gladly wear the bloody things if obliged to do so. Some do already even though they treat the snot-infested things with careless abandon, but it makes them feel invulnerable, or 'being responsible'. I would hate to wear one as it gives the impression of cowardice in the face of the enemy, as well as looking ridiculous. I suppose if it comes down to a Government dictat and we are forced to do so I hope we can at least get some amusing ones. If they can't supply enough decent ones for our NHS staff I can't think how they will supply the remaining 63 million plus, replenished daily, for public use. Or why, frankly.





My plans for the next week(s) are perforce not very adventurous. The next thing on my TTD list is to iron a stack of washed clothes. The disincentive is, considering there are no social events which require one to look remotely respectable, why should I bother. I also have a trunkload of old photographs and documents which has been sitting unopened for over 10 years in my junk room. I have always maintained that I will sort them out one day. Now is, perhaps, the time. 

There are so many anomalies in all the new rules that we are compelled to abide by in this period of 'crisis' that I have almost lost count, and interest frankly. There was an occasion here when a father and his daughter (living together) chose to play a game of tennis on a public court. They were roundly abused by a snarky neighbour for contravening the 'rules'. Why, as another example, is it considered safe enough to stay the required 2 metres apart in a 'permitted' shop, or even in a park (absolutely no risk there), but forbidden to have a friend to come over and have a drink and chat in your garden when you can do the same; even 10 metres apart if necessary if they are worried, but at least within shouting distance. As the admirable columnist Rod Liddle mentioned (Spectator), he would not willingly go within 2 metres of people he doesn't know in normal circumstances, unless they were Liberal Democrats in which case he wouldn't go within 5 metres of them. Logic and common sense seem to have been taken out of our control. I almost despair. 


No comments:

Post a Comment