Friday 27 May 2022

MORE KRAKOW - AND HOME

 14th - 16th May 2022

Wawel Royal Castle

At the southern end of the old town, overlooking the river on Wawel Hill, is the 16th century Wawel Castle. It was the home of Polish kings for over 500 years (did they ever have any queens?). 

Before I went up to the castle I wandered down to the park along the riverside.
Left: A view west along the Vistula.









Right: There was this group of people doing exercises, slowly, to music. Was it Tai chi, pilates, qigong, bong bong or kung fu?
I have no idea and it looked rather boring but they seemed to be enjoying themselves in a sort of rapt trance-like way.







Left: The bronze statue of the 'fire-spitting' Wawel dragon which provided a useful climbing frame for the youth in the park. There is a tunnel which exits from the cliff here from the Dragon's Den up in the castle. I only found out about that after I had left the area. A pity I missed it.










Right: The west front of the castle. I suspect it has been through many 'alterations' over the centuries. 
The ticket office here sells tickets to visit various sections of the castle and its grounds including; the Royal Private Apartments, Crown Treasury and Armoury, State Rooms, 'Lost Wawel' and the Exhibition of Oriental Art. Of these only the Royal Private Apartments was open. The others were 'undergoing renovation' and not due to be open until July.

I duly bought a ticket for the Private Apartments, the entry to which is inside the courtyard (left).








The rooms on view, on two floors were, to my taste, rather dull. They were devoid of much furniture and fittings and one room looked much like the others...but all were signed as being significant in one way or another.

Right: One of the rooms, and I can't remember what it was. I didn't make notes!



Left: ......and another. They had ancient, and probably very valuable, paintings and tapesties hanging on the walls, but I'm no art connoisseur.

They didn't seem to have anything interesting, like a snooker room.


Left: A 'master bedroom'. It doesn't look very cosy, and I never saw any loos. Maybe they didn't have any in those days and just used a 'jerry' under the bed or peed out of the window.

I won't bore you with any more of the many rooms.




Left:: A 16th 'still life' painting which, even to my untrained eye, looked rather good and in excellent condition.









Right: This sword, I believe dating back to the 14th century, was ultimately used for ceremonial purposes. However, the notes said that much of the hilt, blade and pommel had been replaced over the years. Rather like the Ship of Theseus...everything replaced but still an ancient ship!? (or Trigger's broom in Only Fools and Horses!).



Left: A line up of old Polish warriors at the castle wall. They provided a photo op for tourists and were very popular. Lots of 'selfies' were taken.







Right: A gallant knight brandishing his two swords. I think the idea was that he gave one to a tourist for a short, and hopefully bloodless, duel and the tourist's partner takes a photo. I didn't have a partner thankfully.







Left: This couple played very jolly tunes and had a few people dancing along. Not me, of course.

There were many other chapels, crypts, shrines, museums, other sights and a cathedral that I could have visited, but didn't. I must be running out of puff! Instead I went for a rather good meal at a Ukrainian restaurant called 'Smak Ukrainski'.

I stayed at a hotel called 'Maximum'. It was on the eastern side of the Old Town and was excellent value and well located. I recommend it. 
Back there that evening I tried to book a flight home. EasyJet came up with the best/cheapest option. I duly booked and started to check-in on-line. It then told me that a 'large' (ie. normal sized) cabin bag would have to be placed in the hold, and that would cost an extra £33.99p! I paid. On further checking-in it said that I could take a normal cabin size bag on board, for an extra £14.99p. OK, I paid for that, BUT having done it I found I could not cancel the hold baggage. What a rip-off! Having got home I am now in 'negotiations' with EastJet for a refund. They are proving anything but helpful. My recommendation; don't use them. BA flying out to Warsaw were much more straightforward and cheaper.

The train to Krakow airport was quick, cheap and efficient (20 min trip). The airport is smart and easy to navigate. As always, I arrived far too early for my (rip-off) EasyJet flight. Fortunately there is a good outdoor café (right) where I happily spent the time.

So a 2½ hour flight to Gatport Airwick where we were greeted with a typical 'welcome home' British drizzle (I had experienced sun and blue skies for the previous two weeks). At least no delay getting through passport control. I must confess, arriving at a British airport you really wonder what country you are in. The staff are what you might politely call 'ethnically diverse'.

So, back to normality after what was a very pleasant and interesting holiday.

Left: I don't know where this guy had been or what he had been eating.....rather a lot I suspect. He should go to Somalia for a bit of health cure.










I can't resist it. After seeing all those slim, trim and attractive ladies in Kyiv I came home to this, tucking in to a vast pile of fish and chips. She was probably drinking a 'diet' lemonade.

Which reminds me of standing behind a similar behemoth checking in at London Heathrow. She was complaining that she was absolutely 'starving'.
Starving? Words defy me.....

Where to next? I'm thinking.






No comments:

Post a Comment